- Use Your Teams. Staff your concession stand using your teams. Have a sign up and always ask for two more volunteers (parents) than what you actually need since volunteers don't always show up. This way you should always have enough help.
- Use Your Local Schools. If the team volunteers don’t work out to staff your concession stand, use your schools. Contact your local high school and see if there are any groups within the school that need community service hours such as; student council, honor society etc. This is a fun way for them to earn their hours.
- Appreciate your Volunteers. Volunteers should be given a small gesture of your appreciation for them showing up, maybe a popcorn and pop at no charge. Your cost is very minimal. No better way than free food and a thank you to keep them happy.
- Grill it. Whenever possible run a grill. Nothing like the smell of hot dogs, hamburgers and brats to increase sales. Using the grill can also help you with portion control and not having leftover product at the end of the night.
- Offer a Meal Deal. Opening day, if the majority of your teams participate, offer a “meal deal” this helps families who might be there all day. Make the deal the price of a hot dog and drink and include the chips for free. Just watch and be amazed at how much product you move.
- Decide if Credit Cards are for you. Many concessions are starting to take credit/debit cards as payment. Just a reminder there is a cost each time you swipe a card 2-4%. Know what your charges are and price your product accordingly.
- Stay Licensed. If you are located in southwest Michigan do not forget to renew your concession license. Call your local Environmental Health Department.
- Keep Cash Drawers Low. Always keep money drawers to minimal amounts of cash. This helps avoid any sticky fingers.
- Limit Hot Foods towards the End. Keep hot foods to a minimum towards the end of games. You are better running out than giving it away for free.
- Team Snacks. Offer team tickets so instead of parents bringing in snacks to feed a team after the games they use the concession stand. Put a value or an item(s) to each ticket.
Managing a successful concession stand is a lot of work, but can be a great way to earn money for your organization if done the right way. We have put together 10 tips from our customers that you may find helpful when running your concession stand.
With Springtime upon us, spring sports are already in full swing and the concession stands are preparing to open. Reminder to renew or schedule an inspection for your food service license if you haven't already. If your concession stand is in any of the following counties, it must be licensed.
Ottawa County 616-393-5645
Kent County 616-632-6890
Ionia County 616-527-5341
Barry County 269-798-4149
Kalamazoo County 269-373-5210
Calhoun County 269-969-6341
Berrien County 269-927-5618
St Joseph County 269-273-2161
Branch County 517-279-9561
Hillsdale County 517-437-7395
Cass County 269-782-0064
Allegan County 269-673-5411
Van Buren County 269-621-3143
Here is the top 15 favorite items from last years show...
Tootsie Pop Assorted
Airhead Assorted Gravity Feed
Tootsie Pop Caramel Apple
Mega Double Lollies
Ring Pop Assorted Fruit
Baby Bottle Pops
Big Ranch Seeds
Slim Jim 3/$1 Counter Deal
Airhead Xtreme Rainbow
Sour Patch Assorted
Not registered yet? RSVP NOW!
This will be year 15 for the show and we have over 1000 specials and goodies we're gearing up to share. Attending the show is a great opportunity to mingle with the manufacturers and brokers and see (better yet, sample) all the new, yummy treats that are JUST coming out. Don't miss out! If you haven't RSVP'd yet, there still is time! Join us Wednesday, February 7th from 1-7pm. See you then!